Published On: Thu, Mar 19th, 2015 on 6:55 pm

Man poisoned and taken to hospital after taking tablets bought from the net

Police have issued a warning after a man was taken ill with arsenic poisoning suspected to be linked to tablets he bought on the internet.

Tablets Bought On Net

Image: West Yorkshire Police.

The man was admitted to Leeds General Infirmary after falling ill 12 days ago.

Tests results given yesterday showed high levels of arsenic in his system and police were alerted.

Enquiries established that the man had been taking three different types of tablets advertised as herbal supplements for impotence. They were described as brown, red and silver tablets.

Forensic analysis

Officers are currently conducting enquiries around the supplier of the tablet.

Detective Chief Inspector Lisa Atkinson, Head of Leeds District Reactive CID, said: “We have recovered a number of the tablets and they have been sent for forensic analysis which will take some weeks to complete.

“Based on what the man involved has told us we suspect the tablets may have been the source of the arsenic he has consumed and on that basis we are making people aware of the potential risk to their health of consuming similar tablets bought on the internet.

“While it is expected that he will make a full recovery we are told this is unusual for the level of arsenic in his system and that consequences could have been far more serious.”

About the Author

Guest Editorial

- The work of guest writers who publish original content to the Yorkshire Standard. All material is copyrighted and belongs to the Yorkshire Standard.

Leave a comment

Your comment will be approved before it is published.

Comments containing profanity, spam or web links will NOT be approved.