Published On: Mon, May 11th, 2015 on 2:20 pm

Over 5000 call government to allow north of England to join Scotland

EXCLUSIVE: A petition calling for the north of England to secede from the UK and join Scotland has seen a surge in signatures.

Take Us With You Scotland

Image: Change.org.

The petition on Change.org, although created one year ago, has seen a rise in signatures after the Conservatives won the general elections.

The petition reads: “The deliberations in Westminster are becoming increasingly irrelevant to the north of England. The northern cities feel far greater affinity with their Scottish counterparts such as Glasgow and Edinburgh than with the ideologies of the London-centric south.

“The needs and challenges of the north cannot be understood by the endless parade of old Etonions lining the frontbenches of the House of Commons. The north of England should join the newly independent Scotland and regain control over its own destiny. We, the people of the north, demand that in the event that Scotland becomes independent the border between England and the New Scotland be drawn along a line that runs between the River Dee and the mouth of The Humber.”

In support of the petition, one person from Leeds wrote: “We are compared to second class citizens to the south wealthy getting all poorer getting poorer no jobs and no prospects”.

Another person from Halifax added: “Because southerners destroy us by voting Tory”.

The petition has been closed, but has been gaining signatures since the election results.

What do you think of the idea? Let us know in the comments.

About the Author

Guest Editorial

- The work of guest writers who publish original content to the Yorkshire Standard. All material is copyrighted and belongs to the Yorkshire Standard.

Displaying 31 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. T.M says:

Yes Please Go

2. Cassy says:

I’m an official Tory hater in london..can we be part of New Scotland too?? Lets just make the whole Island Scotland and Nicola Sturgeon as PM. Serioulsy, help us, we want out!!!

3. emma says:

I think this is the best idea any one has ever had were i live would just be in the new Scotland fantastic should include wales as well then leave the southern lot to it

4. Martin L says:

I think that this is a great idea.

Living in Edinburgh I notice that a lot of everyday items are imported from Northern England. Apart from the fact that the people of Scotland are so much like the Northern English, I think that Scotland lacks a good manufacturing and import export base which the north of England does have. I think a new Scotland / N England country (got a good name anybody?) would be a world power to be reckoned with and a great place for the normal man, woman and child to live.

5. Dougie says:

I’m Scottish born and bred , I am a member of the SNP , I would like to see you being part of Scotland , the more the merrier , open up the petition and get more signatures .

6. sc says:

I live in the north of England. I would most definitely not want to become part of Scotland. my dad was irish, my mum was Scottish they both lived in England and wouldn’t go back to living where they descended from. The idea to split our island is a ridiculous one.

7. John Edwards says:

I am ashamed 2 b English now under this government I think the Scottish have there right 2 be independent England is dead to me I’m moving to Australia in august & I do not ever plan on returning

8. Karen T says:

We welcome anyone who wants to be rid of the evil Tories. We want to be free of Westminister. I know I feel sad that so many in the north of England is suffering and probably more than the north

Us in Scotland do not hate English people. we hate westminister. we share a common enemy.

GET THE TORIES OUT!

9. Ray f says:

i signed it and I’m Scottish! Think this would be a great idea! The spfl would be a lot more interesting! Hibs v Newcastle! Celtic v Liverpool! Kilmarnock v Man Utd haha…but in all seriousness aye! We’re not anti English up here we just want better for ourselves! And it’s plain to see northern England is treated the same as us

10. John Donaldson says:

Pretty sure Doncaster still belongs to us anyway. Would certainly make people like ed miliband and even happy slappy Jeremy Clarkson ecstatic haha. Would love to see them wearing a kilt.

11. Steven D says:

Aye! Excellent news! Come and join the party. Who knows, Scotland might even have a decent football team someday. Start a new petition!

12. Ingrid says:

A am actually totally up for This!! I was a NO voter on the referendum partly due to fact that I was born in MANCHESTER and my DAD is Cumbrian.dislike the way some scots hate on the English… Its not them, its the Tories..this is an awesome idea…how do we rekindle the petition????

13. Claire says:

I’m from Scotland and in my eyes the English torys have started a war and I want a new referendum and we can cut off from England once and for all! I hate what the torys are doing but Scotland will be Independent once and far all ! But see in Scotland more the merrier so I’m up for this time to take what is ours

14. ria says:

Hahaha gotta say I think this is brilliant and if I’d have known about this petition i would have signed it without a second thought

15. Stephen Blair says:

I hope it comes off, better standard of living ,the Tories dont care about us in the north, a pack of rich upper class pillocks

16. Dave Collins says:

Yes lets join Scotland but please include Nottingham within the new boundary!

17. A Miller says:

That’s what I want to know Colin — why did this petition stop at 5396 signatures and close? Why?? Does anybody know?

• F Anderson says:

Hi A Miller,
      Just to say you can start a new Petition going at change.org
      That is one of the sites people use to start petitions going
      Best of Luck!

18. Rose Hawley says:

I would have signed it if I knew before it closed. We in the North have much more in common with Scotland than London re jobs, housing and opportunities. We in the North are being targeted by the Conservatives unfairly!

19. Billy. Smith says:

I want independence and would LOVE the new border drawn up and it would be an EPIC success story with the amount of HARD WORKING PEOPLE working for our own and our children’s future’s. The Tories wouldn’t know a Hard Day’s work if it hit them in the face. Filthy Vermin lacking any humanity and the stirring of England v Scotland during the Election would ONLY HAVE WORKED IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND and not entertained in the North. If we go PLEASE JOIN US

20. Gillian G says:

I would vote for it so put it up again!!! Get us away from the southern selfishness.

21. Sheila Trezise says:

According to the election results quite a lot of the North voted for the Tories. If anyone thinks so little of being English then I am ashamed of them. All of the population living south of the Humber does not vote Tory, that includes me, my family and many others. We are all disgusted with the result. I cannot understand how anyone votes Tory and we will all suffer for the next five years.

22. marc p says:

Well the only problem with that is it says “the newly independent scotland” pretty sure they voted no….

23. Iain says:

Its the same old story. The Tories won’t bother with the North East because they KNOW they’ll never get the votes. Labour don’t bother because THEY know they’ll never LOSE the votes!!!!

24. scott says:

if only i was not in the south east id join you lot on that with a tory government in who voted for them they seem so unpopular.

25. murdo says:

Scotland a country for every one, We are not anti English we are anti tory, we would welcome the north of England.

• David says:

I totally agree murdo I’m Scottish born and bred my wife is from the north east of England and all the north of England suffered under the tories in the 80s just like we did I’m Scotland I would say welcome to all of the north of England!

• AH says:

Not anti English definitely anti Tory!

26. Colin Goodwin says:

Find it very interesting that the petition was closed so quickly. Could that be because it was considered that far too many signatures were accumulating far too quickly and that this may indeed be a serious issue when considering just how big a population the area indicated as Northern England has?

27. Linda G says:

i signed it as we need to rid ourselves of the Tory vermin, who only care about the super rich, making them wealthier while impoverishing the poor even further.